Random Thought

Vampires should not sparkle!!

Books of the Blog

  • Disturbing the Universe - Trites
  • The Chocolate War - Cormier
  • Forever - Blume
  • Boy Meets Boy - Levithan
  • Speak - Anderson
  • Monster - Myers
  • American Born Chinese - Yang
  • The Book Thief - Zausak
  • The Complete Persepolis - Satrapi
  • Twilight - Meyers
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone - Rowling

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Monster by Walter Dean Myers takes an African American teenage boy and throws him into the judicial system on trial for his life. Myers explores the feelings and events through main protagonist Steve Harmon. Steve decides the only way he will make it through is to write down everything that is happening to him in the form of a screen play. Throughout the play there are journals to reach into Steve’s mind on what had just happened in his trial or the disturbing events happening around him in jail.

I can definitely see why this would reach teenagers; it brings an all too real possibility to any teenagers who have made a wrong turn in their life. Rather Steve knew what those guys were up to or if he really wasn’t there according to his testimony, however at one point he does curse the need for going into a store for mints.

I really enjoyed the screen play set up. Television and movies are such a big part of our culture now that giving them an outlet that they are used to read really helps them get into the novel. I found myself imagining the different movements of the camera around a courtroom from Law and Order. I would probably have to set my classroom up like a courtroom or if the school has the capability on a stage to help the students walk through it. In doing this I feel like I could give an outlet for my students to explore the race issue without ‘imposing’ my ideas onto them.

Quick point about Reading Multiculturally by Daniel D. Hade, I understand Hades attempt to get away from the “tourist’s conception of multiculturalism” (236) and offer comparisons to help release the students eyes to what may be just above the surface of a text. However, I’m not entirely sure how he is able to justify ‘what I am after isn’t imposing meaning, it is exposing injustice.” (237) I find exposing anything is the same as imposing his thoughts onto the students.

3 comments:

  1. "I find exposing anything is the same as imposing his thoughts onto the students."

    Even if the students are doing the "exposing"?

    I wonder if it isn't our responsibility sometimes, as teachers, to suggest or impose our thoughts regarding "racism" onto our students. This might sound shocking to say...but what if (and this was the case in the small rural school that I taught in for most of my high school career) you discover that your students hold and regularly articulate personal bigotries?

    Should we let it go on? Should we say, "that's not nice" and give them detention? Should we design a curriculum that causes students to confront their bigotries?

    What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to comment on Shannon's post. No, we should not let it go on. I live by the motto, "It takes a village to raise a child". No, I'm not their parent, but I'm a part of the society that they live in and as their teacher I strive to be a role model. If there are minorities in the class, letting racism go unchecked is unfair to them, and they're your students too. If there aren't minorities,its still our job as educators to force these students to closely examine their bigotries. I think detention is a bad idea unless the student is working on a project that will teach them something about racism. I think the curriculum should be designed so that students must confront these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Nicole, detention should not be a punishment for a comment/action of bigotry. This type of punishment may bring the parents in who probably have the same views as the child. You are now giving them ammo for another fight for 'free speech' which is so often attached with racism and the student down believes the teacher to be the enemy. Discussing with the students is the only way.

    ReplyDelete