Random Thought

Vampires should not sparkle!!

Books of the Blog

  • Disturbing the Universe - Trites
  • The Chocolate War - Cormier
  • Forever - Blume
  • Boy Meets Boy - Levithan
  • Speak - Anderson
  • Monster - Myers
  • American Born Chinese - Yang
  • The Book Thief - Zausak
  • The Complete Persepolis - Satrapi
  • Twilight - Meyers
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone - Rowling

Monday, October 26, 2009

When started reading The Book Thief I couldn’t decide if I like the book or not. Every time I would start to get into the book death would speak up and make comment reminding you who was narrating the story. I realized after reading about the colors white, red and black (Nazi colors) that the purpose was to make you stop and think about what you are reading. The farther I got into the book the more I found that kept me in it.


I saw Anne mention about how she thinks that getting kids to read this fairly large novel would be very time consuming, which it would be for adolescents. However I feel that with the different stages of the book with the first few chapters introducing Death to the reader, Liesel finding her new home and dealing with loosing her families, the beginning of Nazi Germany, the introduction of resistance and the results, learning to be who you want to be and learning the power of education. I feel that you could get so much out of this book. Not to mention with the different directions you could offer a few short stories or glimpses into other novels.


I’m not sure what to say about “A Class Divided,” I feel that the teacher got her point across and I can definitely see how it was effective to teach the third graders. I really wonder if this would be a good video to show to students?

I want to mention I watched a movie over the weekend that I would suggest to any new or current teacher. It was called “Chalk” and it is currently on Netflex in the instant category. A brief description from Netflex is:

Three rookie teachers and one unenthusiastic assistant principal face a rambunctious student body, a cantankerous set of colleagues, embarrassing rumors, equipment malfunctions and various absurdities at Harrison High, a typically provocative and volatile (although fictional) public school in Austin, Texas. The documentary-style comedy won several awards, including Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you and Anne - I think the novel would certainly cause many students to pause due to the length, but if I can convince my middle schoolers that we'll work together to get through a 250 page novel, why couldn't high schoolers handle a 500-pager? It's about getting beyond the groans and getting the kids invested in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about your reaction to the video "A Class Divided," especially your question of whether or not we could show it or teach it to our own students. Did you see any connections between this and the reading? Also, how might Wilhelm's ideas on reading and adolescents help us to encourage our students through a book like The Book Thief?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikole, I'm confused about what your reaction to "A Class Divided" was. I think it is interesting that you talked about "showing it to your students." I hadn't thought about that... only about actually conducting the experiment in my classroom! Had this occurred to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really thing that he video was very interesting and could really teach a lot of students, however I have a feeling that trying to recreate this activity to high schools, the age I’m looking at teaching, may be a little more difficult. Though I do believe that the actually seeing this done may help them to understand how powerful words are and how someone can use them to change someone’s outlook.

    Along with the same topic I would think about pulling in a few political speeches to show them how people are still using these words. I know currently the official, in New York, when originally running for office was against the extending of the term limits, but now after his term is up is ok with allowing the new law to extend them pass. I feel this would be an excellent true-life example for my students.

    ReplyDelete