Random Thought

Vampires should not sparkle!!

Books of the Blog

  • Disturbing the Universe - Trites
  • The Chocolate War - Cormier
  • Forever - Blume
  • Boy Meets Boy - Levithan
  • Speak - Anderson
  • Monster - Myers
  • American Born Chinese - Yang
  • The Book Thief - Zausak
  • The Complete Persepolis - Satrapi
  • Twilight - Meyers
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone - Rowling

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Teaching with a Graphic Novel

Research Questions:

1. Being a newly acknowledged literary type will a teacher be able to find enough outside sources to help effectively teach in class that the administrators will support?

2. Can the students find the same literary themes in a graphic novel so you wouldn't necessarily have to use a classic or will the sudents get distracted by the simplistic first impression of a graphic novel?

Sources:

Weiner, Stephen. "Show, Don't Tell: Graphic Novels in the Classroom" Bold Books for Innovative Teaching"

Fisher, Douglas & Nancy Frey "Using Graphic Novels, Anime, and the Internet in an Urban High School" Popular Culture

I have two other sources (book anther article) but I did not bring them to class today.

Other then starting some preliminary searching I have not really found an exact direction. I work more all at once then take two days to review and adjust.

I really have enjoyed the two graphic novels in class as well as a few I've looked at previous to this class and I had never really thought to teach them in a classroom. If I can use one of these novel types to help get my students into reading and creative writing it would be so helpful. My only concern in being a new teacher would be to get the backing from the administration and personally be able to do them justice without leaving something out of the curriculum.

1 comment:

  1. Nikole,

    We should plan to meet about your topic, since it is any area that I've done a lot of research in. I can point you in several directions. I think your questions are valid, though they are not particularly focused or clear at this point. What is it that you really want to know about teaching graphic novels in the secondary English classroom? See if you can restructure a solid group of questions around this.

    ReplyDelete