Random Thought

Vampires should not sparkle!!

Books of the Blog

  • Disturbing the Universe - Trites
  • The Chocolate War - Cormier
  • Forever - Blume
  • Boy Meets Boy - Levithan
  • Speak - Anderson
  • Monster - Myers
  • American Born Chinese - Yang
  • The Book Thief - Zausak
  • The Complete Persepolis - Satrapi
  • Twilight - Meyers
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone - Rowling

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Twilight is a novel I had been dreading since it first came out. I saw the movie with a friend of my who had read the series and absolutely loved it. I thought what the hell I’ll go see the movie since I live vampire movies and girl movies on occasion. I can honestly say that after I left the theater I wished to say as far away from the series as humanly possible. I was so animate about this that when I saw the required reading for this class and found Twilight on the list I was quite annoyed to say the least and my friends thought it was the funnies thing alive.

Three weeks ago I decided to read the dreaded book to get it over with so I could spend more time rereading Harry Potter. I read the book in one long weekend where I spend every other chapter complaining to my husband about the horrible writing and dreadful main character, Ella. I have never been a fan of wining characters or those who complain in every other sentence, which is a common occurrence in this book.

When I have thought about the book I’ve tried to decide if the story plot was written in another way would I like it and continue reading it? She does have a great way of weaving the characters together; I would have to say the only good thing in this book is the complexity of the characters, which was discussed in the article and probably one of the reasons why it is such a popular book for YA.

Since I’m working to becoming an English teacher I probably should read the other books since my students mostly will already, though I’m finding it very difficult to really want too. I have agreed to go see New Moon with my friend because I figured two hours of pain is better then a weekend of reading it on my own and in the same amount of pain.

4 comments:

  1. I think most of us have the same concerns about the quality of the writing in this book. I wonder if our students (or teens in general) are aware that this is bad writing. It actually seems like it is on the same level as some high school students' creative writing, so maybe high school and middle school students consider this well-written.
    Bella's perspective is often repetitive, often repetitive, and often repetitive. Yes, we get it, Edward is beautiful, his skin sparkles like diamonds (which was a turnoff to me) when he's in the sun, and he's (again) beautiful. Enough. Got it. Let's move on.
    I do appreciate Meyer's ability to weave these characters together, but I wish she would have edited more heavily so we could be spared some of the repetitive nature of Bella's thoughts. On the other hand, maybe that's the point---we are so into Bella's mind that we have to keep hearing how beautiful he is, because that is what she notices every time she sees him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikole, I couldn't help but to "lol" at your statements regarding the book. I must admit that I've had a fair bit of difficulty trudging through the "tweenie" writing myself. I'm wondering though, what this all (and by "all" I mean the pop culture sensation that is "Twilight") means to us as teachers. Do we ignore the phenomenon? Do we attempt to bring some of our student's enthusiasm for the text into the classroom? I'm not sure. I'm also curious to know what you thought of the "Student's Right to Read" article as well, and if you had the chance to view any Fanfics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - I'm with you? What is up with Edward being beautiful all the time? This is a teen crush for sure - I love my hubby, but I can tell you, there's no way he's beautiful ALL the time...no offense to him, of course. =)

    I already mentioned how I'd use this text in the classroom and I do respond to my students' journal entries when they write about what they are reading. That's the extent of my classroom incorporation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, that was supposed to be with an exclamation point, not a question mark. My bad.

    Megan - I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete